Joan’s mother Susan hadn’t recovered from a hip operation when she slipped and fell again, hitting her head on the fireplace screen. She was still unconscious when Joan phoned her and got no reply. Panicked, Joan drove to Susan’s home and found her lying bleeding on the floor. She called the ambulance and frantically tried to wake Sue up. When they arrived, Joan was so flustered and Susan so groggy that they couldn’t give the QAS paramedic the right answers to his questions about her medical conditions, her allergies, her medications or her operations. But the ambo was trained to look for Susan’s SafeMate card. He scanned it and instantly discovered she was allergic to morphine. That was lucky because otherwise he would have given it.
Joan and Sue – and the ambo – were relieved and grateful. They all said SafeMate was magic.